|
Contents
Aknowledgementc
Chapter Page No.
Chapter One: Introduction
1.1 Introduction 2
1.2 Importance
of the study 4
1.3 Objectives
of the study 5
1.4 Methodology 6
1.5 Limitation
of the study 11
1.6 Presentation
of the report 12
Chapter Two : Results and Discussion
2.1
Marketing activities 14
2.2
Marketing problems 29
2.3
Diffusion process 36
2.4
Marketing efficiency 41
Chapter Three :
3.1
Summary 47
3.2
Conclusion 49
3.3
Recommendation 50
Bibliography 55
Appendix:
Questionnaires 56
Table
index 61
Table Index
|
Table No.
|
Title of the table
|
Page No.
|
|
1
|
Types and number of sample
|
10
|
|
2
|
Caracteristic of user grops
|
10
|
|
3
|
Characteristic of non user groups
|
11
|
|
4
|
Connection line of the number of distric
|
15
|
|
5
|
Model and company
|
17
|
|
6
|
Prepaid cards value and using time
|
18
|
|
7
|
The prises of the products range of different companies
|
22
|
|
8
|
Prepaid cards value and using time
|
23
|
|
9
|
Billing rate
|
23
|
|
10
|
Sales of Grameen Phone Company
|
28
|
|
11
|
Subscribers opinion about mechanical problems of mobile
hand sets
|
30
|
|
12
|
Number of users those have T & T and do not have T
& T connectivity
|
30
|
|
13
|
Customer opinion about mobile connection price
|
31
|
|
14
|
Customer opinion about call rate
|
32
|
|
15
|
Connection availability with in 24 hours
|
34
|
|
16
|
User opinion using the mobile phone
|
36
|
|
17
|
Non user opinion about mobile phone
|
37
|
|
18
|
Consulting rate
|
38
|
|
19
|
Users sources of information
|
39
|
|
21
|
Total number of respondents = 50 from Dhaka and Rajshahi
Metropolitan city
|
41
|
|
22
|
Opinion of the user about deferent types of services
|
43
|
|
23
|
Sales volume
|
44
|
|
||||||
1.1
Introduction
1.2
Importance of the study
1.3
Objectives of the study
1.4
Methodology
1.5
Limitation of the study
1.6
Presentation of the study
![]() |
| Telecommunication media |
1.1 Introduction:
Telecommunication
media has added a new dimension in modern life. Today nothing is imaginable
without this new dimension. Telephone has become insegragative living tools for
modern life. Modern telecommunication technology has shaped different forms of
phones, telegraph, fax, E-mail, Internet, Pagers, Cellular phone and so on.
Since 1991, cellular phone companies in Bangladesh have been playing a
vital role in the economic development and life style of the people.
It is obvious
that without widespread use of telecommunication no economic development is
successfully possible. As the fixed phone is more expensive and timely, the
government is encouraging cellular phone companies to run their business in Bangladesh .
Other telecommunication services are also being privatized. Again Wireless
Application Protocol (WAP) is a newly emerging technology that is integrated
mobile and Internet technology.
Mobile phone
concept is not a fresh baby in Bangladesh
that has already invested a lot and new opportunities have now been born for Bangladesh and
the government is earning more revenue through its expansion. It has got a
riches is the latest addition in the World of smooth and effective
communication so that its demand is increasing day by day. It was first
introduced to the Bangladeshi Market in 1991. There are four companies which
have got licensed for this such as pacific cellular company (known as City
Cell), Grameen Phone Ltd., TMI (known as Aktel) and Sheba World Telecom Ltd.
Mobile phones are light, small and pocket size which is easy to port anywhere
and anytime. So people can communicate anyone its coverage limit.
Among these
companies, my subject is Grameen phone Ltd. In our country Grameen Phone
started its network on March
26, 1996 . At first the company marketed its pre-paid simcards. Then
the company made an agreement with the Grameen Bank in exchange of 10,000/=
security money. The company gave the members the opportunity to pay the cost of
the phone set through weekly installment. The condition is also now on. The
only change happened in security money.
In today’s Bangladesh ,
there is no perfect alternative of Grameen Phone. It is now on the flow of
developing its program so rapidly that it seems that this company is going to
capture the master market of mobile phone in our country. Therefore, no doubt,
its future prospect is bright.
![]() |
| Telecommunication media |
1.2 Importance of the study:
The marketing department of Rajshahi University
has started on internship program, the practical case of theory for the M.B.A
students. As a part of the program, I have selected this research work. First,
I was to choose a study area. Then I consulted with my supervisor about the
pros and cons of the work. He has pointed me to the important notes of my
research, with his great help; I have become able to prepare a detail research
of my subject. I indulged myself in the practical field to collect necessary
data and prepare this report. I hope it would be able to satisfy the
researchers, as well as to build up my future career.
In my report, I have tried my best to open up the
performed activities of Grameen Phone Company. In my report I have also added
the shortcomings and probable measures of the company. My entire study is
conducted to keep in view the above-mentioned objectives.
![]() |
| Telecommunication media |
1.3 Objectives
of the study:
Every study must have its objectives. Again the objectives
should be specified and well defined. So do I have the main objective of my
work is to evaluate the existing marketing system of Grameen Phone in Bangladesh and
its problems.
Bearing the above view in mind, I have notified the
following objectives for my research.
1. To
observe and evaluate Grameen Phone’s marketing activities.
2. To
extricate its problems.
3. To
extricate its diffusion processes through out the society.
4. To
measure it’s Marketing efficiency.
5. To
find out the fruitful ways of solving the problems.
1.4 Methodology:
I followed some fundamental steps in the process of
marketing research. In my research, I adopted some method to conduct the
activity:
i)
Definition
Of The Problem:
The first step of marketing research is to carefully define
the problem, which I already have defined.
ii)
Source of
information:
In the next step, I determined the sources of information
that would be required for the study. I used both primary and secondary data to
conduct my research.
Primary data:
The information, which is collected directly from the
field for my research purpose, is called primary data. I collected primary data
by surveying the service providers, users, non-users and dealers. I have to
turn to the primary sources and collected the information directly by the
following ways:
a)
Questionnaire for users, none-users, dealers and other
company.
b)
Observation is my internship period.
c)
Interviewing the directors and executive of the company
service providers.
Secondary data:
When data are collected from the sources that collected
earlier is called secondary source. Secondary data is collected from previous
research works, reports, publications and various existing sources. Secondary
data are very important to conduct an efficient research and to have fruitful
result. Sources of secondary data are that I used are:
Internal sources:
a Company’s daily sales statement.
a
Prior research report
a
Any information regarding mobile phone.
a
Company’s leaflet annual report and other publications.
External sources:
a
Different books and periodicals on mobile phone.
a
Government report.
a
Newspaper.
iii) Data
collection method:
In the case of primary
data collection, three types of methods are used.
a) Personal interview
b) Telephone interview
c) Letter survey.
I have collected most of my information through personal
interview. In some cases with telephone interview and letter survey. Because
full information cannot be collected through the personal interview, much of
the information was not from one member at a time. That’s why many times were
being saved. Cost became less and accurate information was found. For the above
advantage I have collected my information through the personal interview.
i)
Questionnaire
Preparation:
Questionnaire is the set of questions that have been fixed
earlier on basis of which the respondent give the answer of the question. At
the time of preparing questionnaire I have to careful about the warding of the
question. And the list of questions should be in sequence. The following
factors are given importance:
v Use simple language.
v Avoid lengthy question.
v Be specific as possible.
v Avoid leading question.
v Avoid unwanted question.
v Avoid estimated question.
v Avoid ambition question.
Except there, I have used some close-ended question so
that the respondents can give the answer easily and consequently helped for
tabulation. I also used open-ended question so that the respondent can express
his judgment on the questionnaire.
ii)
Pre-test:
The accuracy and validity of the question should be
ensured which are used on a questionnaire collecting data by the questionnaire.
If there are some mistakes, that then it can be over come by pre-test of the
questionnaire. I have pre-tested my questionnaire. There were some linguistics
problems, and there were mistakes in question sequence that had been corrected.
I have rejected the technical term, which can be problem for the respondents.
iii)
Sample:
Sample is a part or portion of whole population, which is
selected purposively. But the sample must be representative of whole
population. The main purpose of sampling may be hampered if the sample
selection is not perfect, i.e. It may give a wrong result of the research. So,
it is very important to select the sample perfectly.
iv)
Sample area:
Sample area is too important for research work. There
fore, the selection of the sample area is necessary for a researcher. I have
selected Rajshahi and Dhaka metropolitan city
as my sample area.
v)
Sample
size:
Sample size is very important for research work. In order
to avoid any difficulty I have taken a small sample size in my research
project. But I avoid too little sampling as I get a standard result from the
research project. I have selected to metropolitan city of the country. From the
two cities I have selected the following sample for my research project:
![]() |
| Telecommunication media |
Table No.-1
Types and numbers
of sample
|
Organization
|
Dealer/agent
|
User
|
Non User
|
|
1
(Grameen Phone Ltd.)
|
6
|
50
|
50
|
Source:
Field of survey.
vi)
Sample selection method:
I have used cluster sample. Here, at first I have divided
the total population by some units. Then I have regarded some units in cluster
as a unit. Such as, based on different profession, age, education, income. I
have taken as cluster. And it is selected by random sampling. The main
characteristics have been shown in the following table:
Table No.- 2
Characteristics
of users group
|
Age
|
%
|
Education
|
%
|
Income
|
%
|
Occupation
|
%
|
|
20-30
|
36
|
Primary
Level
|
-
|
3000-6000
|
8
|
Businessman
|
44
|
|
|
|
Secondary
Level
|
6
|
6001-10000
|
34
|
Service
Holder
|
42
|
|
31-40
|
42
|
Higher
Secondary Level
|
8
|
10001-15000
|
30
|
Students
|
10
|
|
41-50
|
20
|
Honors
Level
|
52
|
15001-above
|
|
Others
|
4
|
|
51-above
|
2
|
Masters
Level
|
28
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
Higher
Education
|
6
|
|
|
|
|
Source:
Field of survey.
Table No. – 3
Characteristics of
non-users group
|
Age
|
%
|
Education
|
%
|
Income
|
%
|
Occupation
|
%
|
|
20-30
|
42
|
Primary Level
|
0
|
3000-6000
|
20
|
Businessmen
|
28
|
|
Secondary Level
|
12
|
6001-10000
|
28
|
Service Holder
|
46
|
||
|
31-40
|
24
|
Higher Secondary Level
|
16
|
10001-15000
|
26
|
Students
|
20
|
|
41-50
|
24
|
Honors Level
|
40
|
15001-above
|
26
|
Others
|
6
|
|
51- above
|
10
|
Maters
|
30
|
|
|
|
|
Source:
Field of survey.
1.5
Limitation of the study:
Limitation is a common feature of all activities and this
research is also not a limitation free. The most notable limitation of this
research are-
1. The
area of research is vast. It is difficult to give a concrete result or opinion
based on a vast area in one and a half month.
2. Since
a single hand performed the research activity, it was not be possible to
collect all the information regarding the market situation.
3. Few
people were not spontaneously give the accurate answer that their interviews
were taken. This may distort the actual result.
4. No
research can be completed without a handsome of money. But I am a student. So
this research is completed after suffering from financial crisis.
![]() |
| Telecommunication media |
1.6 Presentation of the repot:
The present
study is presented in three chapters.
In the first
chapter, Introduction, Importance of the study, objectives of the study,
Methodology, Limitation of the study and Presentation of the repot have been
discussed.
In chapter two,
an analytical study is conducted to prove the actual happening in so far the
general features of the existing marketing system, marketing efficiency,
diffusion process and marketing problem faced with the participants and
opinions of the participants towards the existing marketing system on the basis
of primary data collection from the wholesalers, retailers and the customers.
The final and
third chapter, reveals a summary of the study, which has been discussed steps
to develop the marketing activities and conclusion have been given to solve the
marketing problem of Grameen mobile phone in Bangladesh .





No comments:
Post a Comment